March 3, 2013

Loving Shepard of Thy Sheep

Where Thou Leadest, I Will Go

Loving Shepherd of Thy Sheep was written by Jane Elizabeth Leeson (1807-1882). It was first published in 1842 as part of her collection, Hymns and Scenes of Child­hood. Though little is known of this Catholic convert, the simple and direct expressions of faith found in her "Infant Hymnings", have earned a place in many hymnals representing a wide spectrum of Christian beliefs. Loving Shepherd of Thy Sheep is sung to the 1863 tune, Buckland by the Anglican Clergyman and organ builder, Dr. Leigh­ton G. Hayne (1836-1883). In the Liturgy of the Hours it is used in the Common of Pastors.



LOVING SHEPHERD OF THY SHEEP by Jane Elizabeth Leeson, 1842 (Public Domain)

1. Loving Shepherd of Thy sheep,
Keep Thy lamb, in safety keep;
Nothing can Thy power withstand,
None can pluck me from Thy hand.

2. Loving Savior, Thou didst give
Thine own life that we might live,
And the hands outstretched to bless
Bear the cruel nails’ impress.

3. I would praise Thee every day,
Gladly all Thy will obey,
Like Thy blessèd ones above
Happy in Thy precious love.

4. Loving Shepherd, ever near,
Teach Thy lamb Thy voice to hear,
Suffer not my steps to stray
From the straight and narrow way.

5. Where Thou leadest I would go,
Walking in Thy steps below,
Till before my Father’s throne
I shall know as I am known.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but they won't be published immediately. I moderate them first, just to weed out spam etc.

- Thanks