September 25, 2012

I Sing the Mighty Power of God

Lord, how your wonders are displayed

I Sing the Mighty Power of God was written by Isaac Watts. It was originally published in Divine and Moral Songs for Children, 1715. It was intended for use by children and meant to convey the simple awe, wonder, and goodness of creation. It is set to the tune Ellacombe by William Henry Monk (1823-1889),  first published in a chapel hymnal for the Duke of Würtemberg: the Gesangbuch der Herzogl of 1784. In the Liturgy of the Hours, I Sing the Mighty Power of God is used during Ordinary Time for Morning Prayer.

Tune: Ellacombe

I Sing the Mighty Power of God (Iassac Watts, 1715, Public Domain)

I sing the mighty power of God, that made the mountains rise,
That spread the flowing seas abroad, and built the lofty skies.
I sing the wisdom that ordained the sun to rule the day;
The moon shines full at God’s command, and all the stars obey.

I sing the goodness of the Lord, who filled the earth with food,
Who formed the creatures through the Word, & then pronounced them good.
Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed, where’er I turn my eye,
If I survey the ground I tread, or gaze upon the sky.

There’s not a plant or flower below, but makes Thy glories known,
And clouds arise, and tempests blow, by order from Thy throne;
While all that borrows life from Thee is ever in Thy care;
And everywhere that we can be, Thou, God art present there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but they won't be published immediately. I moderate them first, just to weed out spam etc.

- Thanks