December 16, 2012

When from the Darkness

Grant Us Your Light

When from the Darkness, first published in 1971 as part of the New Catholic Hymnal was written by Brendan McLaughlin. It is set to the tune Courtney by English organist, choral composer, and conductor: Colin Mawby (B.1936). He has been a prolific composer of works for the Catholic Liturgy which includes over 50 Masses. In 2006, Pope Benedict XVI awarded him with the Knighthood of the Order of St. Gregory the Great, bestowed on Catholic individuals in recognition of their personal service to the Church. He has also brought religious themes to a wider audience through such works as The Lord Is My Shepherd featuring Charlotte Church. In the Liturgy of the Hours, When from the Darkness is used during Lent.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kevin,
    I have been googling furiously trying to find the music to 'When from the darkness comes no light' when I finally found this site. Thank you! I have the lyrics but am trying to find the music, and cannot find any reference anywhere online for the tune 'Courtney' which you mention. I'm just wondering if you could direct me to this? With thanks, Boo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but they won't be published immediately. I moderate them first, just to weed out spam etc.

- Thanks